We now appear to live in both the information age, with an ever-increasing abundance of data, and a world that some people refer to as post-truth, where emotional appeals have come to replace facts (particularly in politics). — Alain Samson Ph.D.
Health is vital to human life. It’s the principal source of our existence. It is where a person’s state of complete emotional, mental, social, and physical well-being is at its best. It’s not precisely the absence of a disease but rather the totality of an overall human function. A complex interaction determines what health is, and between the determinants of health factors that affect it lays the decisions that society partakes.
Determinants Of Health
The determinants of health include social, physical, and economic environment contributes to human development. It has something to do with each person’s individual characteristics, behaviors, and lifestyle. And to make a change in perceived health, there are actions needed across all the upstream factors which public health is the concern. Since there’s a need for keeping the population intact, public health needs to address issues as a whole.
What Is Public Health?
Saving lives and making people healthy is part of public health. It is the science of preventing a disease and consequently helping prolong a life. It caters to the society’s involvement in making a difference in maintaining the health of every human being. It focuses on the promotion of health from an organized effort so the society can achieve its potential human growth.
A public health approach has worked to address a variety of social problems: Traffic collisions, hospital infections, falls and physical abuse are all areas in which public health strategies have been used to prevent injury for millions of people throughout the world. — Elizabeth Letourneau, Ph.D.
Public Health Vs. Clinical Medicine
- Clinical medicine focuses on the immediate response of an individual who suffers from specific conditions. It is the process of giving assistance that is required on such a given time. It uses basic to modern technology that instantly shows remedy.
- Public health approach caters to the holistic intervention that aims for a long-term function. It looks at scenarios differently and tries to figure out why diseases and accidents happen. From there, it requires actions that will prevent unwanted things to occur again.
Who’s Responsible For Public Health?
All the important sectors of the society are responsible for a healthy community. It is their duty to gather information, list data, and segregate utilization of any health-related needs. Health departments, in particular, contain the central role in providing public health. However, the improvements in the overall health population require coordinated efforts from other stakeholders too. It includes the private sectors, other areas of the government, non-government organizations (NGOs), international organizations, and communities as well. The promotion of improved health of the public becomes their shared goal.
Our job is to ask for the support. We don’t know where it will come from, but when it comes—and we must trust it will—it is one of the great blessings in life. — Alena Gerst, LCSW, RYT
How Public Health Works?
There’s a useful framework that lets people understand how and when public health gets to be delivered. The enablers are responsible for assuring that the areas of public health provide its purpose. The services must occur efficiently and effectively as well. It must contain the primary core areas such as protection, prevention, and promotion.
- Protection implies the overall health of the population where there’s a need of control in infectious diseases, ensuring a healthy workplace, supervising environmental hazard, and managing health emergencies.
- Prevention is about taking care of the problem before it even starts. The activities such as screening and vaccination are part of its system.
- Promotion focuses on improving the population’s health. It covers a broad range of factors that focus on complete implementation. It promotes behavioral advancements that help improve the social determinants of health.
Good governance can enable these core areas of public health. And when there is proper advocacy, it can influence not only the organizations but the public as well. The assurance for actions that support a health goal can help well-trained professionals to attain a better workforce. There will be a quality health function that will obtain supporting commitments on all aspects of society. Focusing on public health maintains the importance of health-related obligations including monitoring, evaluations, and relevant research.